Cooking has been very therapeutic all the days that I am not busy, probably because of the co-op I have joined. I am satisfied knowing that everything I am cooking for my family is fresh and healthy for them. Along with my lifestyle change my cooking has changed drastically. Fresh veggies like Asparagus and any kind of seafood like shrimp (families favorite) has been very important for dinner.
Stir-Fry in my house is a big hit. Not only for mommy because its always a less than 30 minutes meal but so does my kids and the husband. My 3 year old loves how there is always sauce on it because it probably reminds him chicken nuggets and BBQ sauce.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and each stalk cut into 3″ pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound large raw shrimp (peeled)
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- In a small bowl mix together chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of ginger. After it is put together set it aside.
- In a large pan heat tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high. Add shrimp to pan and cook until its slightly pink. Season with whatever salt product you want. Also add 1 tablespoon of ginger. I like to use seasoning salt or sea salt both are great. Shrimp needs to be a little undercooked.
- In the same frying pan add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add asparagus to pan and cook for 2 minutes and turn over. The asparagus should turn bright green. Once it turns bright green add the shrimp you put aside and also add the lemon sauce you set aside.
- Cover with lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
I made this meal all the time for my family when I started my lifestyle change. I would serve them rice or noodles with it and I would have an extra serving of veggies. Now that my goal is to maintain it all, I still will rarely have carbs at dinner. Carbs just sit there and will turn into sugar and that sugar will make you gain weight. I am hoping that now that I only cook good food for my family that my kids will grow up to make healthy choices.
Join the newsletter
Sign up and receive a 3 day meal plan!