Staying on track is extremely hard and it takes dedication to avoid those cookie, pies and holiday potlucks at your job. Is it possible? Yes! I did it last year! If you have a goal in sight there is no stopping you no matter what holiday it is. You can still lose that weight that you want. I missed out on my Starbucks holiday drinks, didn’t have pie and avoiding two potlucks at my job.
This year is a little different because I have exceeded my goal and I now have to tools to get me through the holidays without any guilt.
- EAT SWEET TREATS- In moderation, It’s all about moderation! It is ok to splurge and I like to splurge but I also make sure it is set in my mind that I can’t undo all of my work and progress because it is easy to get put in that mind frame.
- POSITIVE EFFORTS- Make an effort to have at least one consistent healthy meal. Every morning I have my Shakeology drink and I always make sure no matter what I plan on eating for that day or doing that day I know I am getting my Superfoods. Also load up on your veggies, if you have to have that bad food at least load up on your veggies and make your plate colorful!
- TAKE THAT WALK- Keep your work out routine. If you are visiting family and can’t keep up with going to a gym, go for a walk. I love evening walks right after dinner. So take that walk. Burn some calories and make it fun, have the kids or family join you!
Staying on track is hard but you can do it! Always stay focused on your goal that you have set for yourself. This holiday season I am committed to working out everyday with some rest days and continue to transform myself.
Meal prepping and planning has to be a priority if you want to shed the weight and keep the weight off. When people ask me how I did it– well it’s simple– Move more eat less! Watch what you put in your mouth. You can’t eat 2 donuts and expect to lose weight because that was the only thing you had all day!
If your not sure how to meal prep check out this great post I wrote Meal Prep 101. I am thinking about starting a series but want to hear what you think of me helping you with your meal prep! I plan all my meals including dinner for the following week starting on Fridays and meal prep every Sunday.
If you have not looked at Targets grocery section well you need to start. This chicken is originally$6 and I got it for $3! I love finding a good deal on anything but healthy food makes me feel like I have won the lottery. When buying chicken you should always make sure your chicken is 100% all real chicken because some chicken will say including RIB MEAT…..
Meal Prep Week of August 7
Breakfast– Banana Almond Protein Muffins
Lunch– Baked Chicken (Trader Joes Seasoning) with a Spinach and Kale salad w/ cucumbers and tomatoes
Snack– Tangerine & Quest Bar ( not shown)
I also tried the Hidden Valley Cucumber Ranch and it is so good! My kids also loved it with their carrots that I packed for lunch! Also these cute containers are from Walmart and I got these for $1.50 from their Back To School section! Meal prepping is the key to staying healthy, losing weight and not spending any unnecessary money on fast food. Sunday is a little hard but it is worth it because during the week it saves me time and money.
I want to hear from you, would you like me to help you on meal prepping and planning?
“Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Mind, Body and Spirit”
Listen to your mind, body and soul. These words are so important to me. I listen to my body and thoughts. Does that sound a little nutty?! Probably! I am very into listening to whatever my inner voice is telling me. Last week I decided I needed a week break. I finally found out why my body was not healing, it was because I was not getting any rest. Life is hectic, life is busy and self inflicted pain is something that could be avoided. I needed a break from social media and blogging. How could I need a break from something I truly love? I love my kids but this weekend I am dropping them off at my parents house and this mama will have a break.
I created this blog because I wanted to first blog my journey on losing the baby weight but then I really got into fitness and my life has truly changed.
This mama gained 5lbs and it wasn’t in muscle. With everyone being sick including myself I skipped the gym, the home work outs and ate like there was no tomorrow. TODAY, starts my jump rope challenge! I am so excited and its similar to my plank challenge which was a big hit! I have cut out carbs for lunch and dinner and increasing my veggies with every meal! I fell back on the bandwagon of drinking soda, so that is completely out! I am human, I cry and I crave carbs (in that order)! The great thing about being in my position is I know what my body needs and how I can take care of my body. Disappointment is the word that has taken over. Not because I gained the weight, but because I got in a place in my life where I didn’t realize I needed a break but put myself into a downward spiral.
I am human, I am a mom and a blogger and this is my life. I love to be transparent because that’s why I am here!
TODAY, starts back to taking care of me and eating right again (since I just downed a bag of chips yesterday)! The positive is dinner is still really healthy, and I am so excited that my kids love to eat healthy at least I am doing that right! I am a mom of two, a wife, I struggle everyday like you with good decisions and bad decision but everyday is a learning lesson and thats what make life beautiful.
I love looking at these pictures, because this is a reminder on why I am doing this and these are a constant reminder on what my goal is.
After I had my daughter the last thing I literally wanted to do was go to a gym. I had no motivation at first, I mean really who could when a newborn doesn’t sleep at all. Let’s just say she is 10 months old and we are now mastering “sleep” and sometimes we win and some nights fighting sleep wins.
I remember signing up for the gym the same week I got cleared from the doctor. I felt fat, ugly and knew I needed a change. I paid for a trainer twice in my life ad regretted it because it was a lot of money and I saw no results. I knew now paying for double the daycare and double the diapers, it wasn’t in our budget to get a trainer. It was up to me to take accountability and just like Nike “DO IT”! After doing the latest fad diets and trying everything, I finally found the secret. Here is how I won over my body fat!
- Increase your water intake: They say your suppose to drink half your body weight in water! So if your 150lbs, drink 75oz…… Simple right?! Not at all, at least for me. I couldn’t drink one bottle, I have always hated water. The only way I became an avid water drinker is gradually increase water. To be honest sometimes I get sick of water and then I add my favorite Crystal Light! Start small and increase until you can drink half of your water weight!
- Accountability: My accountability was my Fit Bit! It tracked how many steps I had taken a day and I loved to see everything in green. Also on Fit Bit, me and my friends would hold challenges…. This not only made it fun but it also made it feel like I wasn’t alone in the weight loss journey. You can also join Facebook groups. We have a group for Moms inspiring each other. Many times we get so caught up in taking care of our kids or taking care of everything else but we what we need to take care of…. OUR SELVES!
- Set small goals: If someone was to tell me that I would workout 5 days a week, I would have just laughed. This is coming from the lady that hated to workout! Start going to the and set goals to work out 2 days a week and then the next week workout 3 days a week. Start small and end big!
- Invest in yourself: You don’t have to join a gym. If its not in the budget or you just don’t have time workout at home! I have weights that I bought from Walmart and if I can’t make it to the gym I will do arm workouts. You can download apps that will show you what arm workouts to do! Also utilize the stairs in your house, we have stairs and I will lace up my sneakers and run up ad down. The video below is one of my workouts I will do if I can’t make the gym.
- Celebrate: Celebrate the small wins. Celebrate when you drink more than 3 bottles of water. Through this entire process I remember saying, whatever I am so sick of this and it took the fun out of losing weight! Make sure you celebrate the things you are accomplishing no matter how small it may seem.
Starting a workout challenge is easy, but staying motivated is hard.
Saying you will work out 5 times a week and eat right is easy but when you want to just stay in the bed or your favorite type of pizza is put in front of you making the right decision is hard.
I remember coming home from work and just laying in my bed. I had a hard day at work and all I wanted to do was grab a glass of wine and crawl in my bed. We all have days like that, and it’s so normal but you have to remember you have a goal. Many people asked me how I stayed motivated to work out and to eat right and the answer for me was simple. I was tired of not being able to fit my pants and I wanted to change my health, my lifestyle. I believe that there has to come a point in everyones life where you just want to see a change in your body, and mind. At least that how it was for me!
It was so easy for me to accept these challenges from personal trainers and the latest work out guru on Instagram but staying on track and keeping the momentum going has always been hard. Here are some things that helped me stay motivated while losing weight.
1. Changing your mind.
Exercise and fitness is not only about changing physically but you have to be mentally ready for this. It’s true do something consistently for 21 days and it becomes a habit! Remind yourself why you are changing your habits even if you need to put a motivational note in your workspace or on your mirror.
2. Set Goals.
I believe in setting long term goals and short term goal. Baby steps when it comes to losing weight. Set goals like in 8 weeks I want to lose 10lbs. 6 months I want to lose 20lbs. Remember what you want in the long term and set little goals to get to the big goal.
Like anything else we need people that will support us on our journey. Besides my husband, my best friend who lives in DC was also my support system. I remember times I would literally be laying in my bed and she would FaceTime and ask why I wasn’t in the gym. When I would give her my lame excuse she would tell me to call her only when I am in the gym heading to the car. Even from states away she still held me accountable. If I was craving something I would call her and she would help me come up with a healthier option then what I was craving.
4. Working Out=Fun.
Know what your work out style is. I am more of a group setting type of person. I love group work outs like Zumba or Body Pump and sometimes I like to just run on the treadmill. Switch it up. Sometimes working out can be so boring but don’t let it be!
5. Don’t beat yourself up.
Take one day at a time. Sometimes I would have days where I would eat 2 slices of cake instead of one, or some days I would crave fries and a soda and I would eat that plus more. I had to learn not to beat myself up over what I did that day. The only thing I could do is move on and wake up the next day with a clean slate and learn from my mistakes.
WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY IS NEVER ENDING……………
Not to get skinny but to get stronger. I remember there was a time when I first started this weight loss journey my ultimate goal was to get to 125 lbs. My goal was to fit into those jeans hiding in the back of my closet. After 2 kids in 3 years your body just doesn’t go back right to where it was. I remember saying to myself, I just want to be skinny again. I ate right, I worked out 5 times a week and I drank the amount of water I was suppose to. Pounds started to shed, my waist was smaller than a 28 and I was elated. I meal prepped every Sunday for the entire week and people started noticing how small I was getting. None of my work clothes fit and even my work out clothes got so big on me.
One day I was running on the treadmill and I looked around and noticed some women in my opinion that didn’t need to work out. That didn’t have any fat on their bodies and in my head I started thinking…..Why are they here? I mean it was motivation to see women take such pride in their health and bodies but really, running on the treadmill with the higher incline on! Now your just trying to make me look bad.
I remember the morning I stepped on the scale and I reached my goal weight! My first thoughts were I want wings & fries and then my thought was now that I hit my goal weight, whats next move for me? I want to feel stronger. Going to the gym and working out does not just make you feel stronger physically but it makes you feel stronger mentally. My goal is not just to maintain the weight I am now but to have more definition in my body. When I hit the gym, I leave all of my worries at the door and I put my game face on! I am learning that it doesn’t matter to much about what the scale says but more about how you feel about yourself. I continue to do this because one day I want some one to say to me, that I inspired their journey of a healthy life style.